Thursday, November 13, 2008

Prepared to Party

It has been a while since I've written. Things always get in the way - life, death, and the occasional casual detox period to remind myself that I love the flavor more than the buzz. But we are at the start of holiday season, so you will need to be prepared to grab that bottle quickly on the way to a party... or three!

Enter Monte Oton Garnacha from Spain, circa 2006.

I recently paired this yummy wine with a Thai dish because the store description promised a fruity wine. Yes, a succulent Reisling is an ideal match for Thai cuisine, but my heart belongs to red. PLUS, Thai and red wine both warm my soul on a chilled late fall evening.

I picked it up again when I planned another impromptu Thai night. This time I savored it. The nose is rich, spicy, and peppery. The flavor bursts on your tongue like a juicy berry... maybe strawberry, maybe cherry. There's a tiny hint of licorice, but not enough to throw off the fruity balance.

Strawberries, licorice... and Thai? Sounds bizarre, but it works for me. The spice matches the Thai and the juicy fruit is powerful enough to stand up to the strong flavors. And at $9.99, it's the perfect price-point for party preparation. Like the alliteration?

Oh, and the bottle is adorable. Covered in modern, colorful, polka-dots. Perfect to hand to your brave holiday host or hostess.

More to come...

No comments: